Importance of Healthy Gums
August 27, 2020
A healthy smile and your overall wellness is rooted in healthy gums. According to the CDC, nearly half of adults age 30 and older have some form of gum disease. Not only does gum disease impact your oral health, but it can also increase your risk of other health complications. Let’s dive into what gum disease is and the importance of having healthy gums.
About Gum Disease
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a serious gum infection that left untreated could lead to tooth loss. While plaque is the leading cause of periodontal disease, other contributing factors such as genetics, poor oral hygiene, smoking and diabetes can increase your chances of gum disease.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
- Gums that easily bleed when flossing or brushing
- Loose teeth
- Red, tender or swollen gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
Gums and Overall Health
Several studies have shown that there is a link between gum disease and common chronic diseases that could jeopardize your overall health. Inflammation is said to be the connecting factor. Inflammation caused by periodontal disease may cause inflammation throughout the body to increase. The diseases-linked to gum disease include:
- Heart disease
How to Prevent Gum Disease
There are simple steps you can do to keep your gums healthy.
- Brush and floss: gently brushing your teeth for two minutes, twice daily as well as flossing once daily will keep plaque away.
- Mouthwash: the American Dental Association recommends using a therapeutic mouthwash to prevent mild symptoms of gum disease.
- Dental visits: visiting Beall Dental Center every six months will help spot and prevent gum disease from spreading and causing permanent damage.
- A healthy diet: consuming foods packed with sugar can contribute to gum disease
- Stop smoking: cigarettes can cause irritation to the gums and teeth
If it’s time for your dental checkup or you are experiencing any symptoms of gum disease, schedule an appointment with us today!